IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Immigration response from Evan Bayh.
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:45 pm 

This is the reply I received from 2 letters one sent April 16,2010 and May 27,2010.
I asked for a specific reply as to if he will support any legislation that gives Amnesty.
I guess I should feel privileged, they don't usually respond at all or answer the phone in D.C.
Thu, May 27, 2010 12:32:14 PM From the Office of Senator Evan Bayh
From: "noreply@bayh.senate.gov" <noreply@bayh.senate.gov>Add to Contacts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. England:

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration reform. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns on this serious issue.

After thorough consideration and listening to the concerns of people with strongly held views on both sides of this issue, I voted against the immigration bill (S. 1639).

The legislation ultimately failed by fourteen votes and was removed from further consideration by the Senate.

America is a nation of immigrants, and it is true that we must resolve the fact that 12 million undocumented immigrants currently live and work in this country.

But America is also a nation of laws, and our current immigration system is badly broken. Unfortunately, this deeply flawed plan does not secure our borders, does not respect family unity, and does not deal fairly with the hard-working immigrants who are already living here.

I voted 'no' because the Senate's approach is not a long-term answer to this country's undocumented immigration problem. We must find a sustainable solution so that we do not return to this divisive debate again and again every few years. The approach rejected would have left us with broken borders and broken immigrant families, driving our country further apart instead of closer together. Americans and those who long to be Americans deserve a better solution than that.

Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should similar legislation be considered in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope the information I have provided is helpful. My website http://bayh.senate.gov, can provide additional details about legislation and state projects, and you can also sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, The Bayh Bulletin, by clicking on the link at the top of my homepage. I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you.

Office of Senator Evan Bayh
(202) 224-5623
Russell 131
Washington, D.C. 20510

Profile E-mail