IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resolution: Stimulus Package Must "Buy American"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Admin

I love this Buy American Resolution our state Democrat representitives sent to the Feds! I hope our state Republican representatives signed on to it. I also hope both parties in our Statehouse will come together and send the Feds a Resolution to "Hire American" by using E-verify!

First, please read John Byrne's column about this Resolution and then scroll down to read the email I sent to the Democrat state reps quoted in the story. You may copy and send my email to other state reps if you like.

http://blogs.post-trib.com/byrne/2009/0 ... ement.html

Indiana steel gets endorsement from House
By
John Byrne
on March 10, 2009 12:44 PM

The state House of Representatives passed a resolution Tuesday calling on the federal government to use American-made steel for work under the stimulus package.

Rep. Chuck Moseley, D-Portage, introduced the resolution, as a crowd of steelworkers cheered in the balcony and the hallway outside the House chambers.

"We need to commit to buy Indiana steel with taxpayer dollars," Moseley said.

He was joined by Rep. Earl Harris, D-East Chicago, and Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, in speaking in favor of the bill.

"Somewhere along the way, we were sold a bill of goods," Pelath said, lamenting the fact America has lost its manufacturing strength to the easy lure of cheap imported consumer goods.

"That economic theory has been discredited," Pelath said.

And Harris said using Indiana steel supports Hoosier workers.

"All of a sudden, we don't need steel. We don't support it," Harris said.

"It's the backbone of the American economy," he said.

The resolution will be forwarded to the U.S. Congress.
EMAIL:

Rep. Harris, Rep. Pelath, Rep. Moseley:

Thank you! I recently read Post-Tribune reporter John Byrne’s article: Indiana steel gets endorsement from House.
http://blogs.post-trib.com/byrne/2009/0 ... ement.html

Just when I thought the Democrat party was no longer the “party of the people,” you voted to “buy American!” As you know, the buy American clause was stricken from the federal stimulus bill signed by President Obama. Unfortunately, so was the requirement that E-verification be used to ensure that only citizens and legal workers are hired for any jobs created by the stimulus

Just as the importation of cheap foreign steel has hurt Indiana steel manufacturers, so has the importation of cheap foreign laborers hurt Hoosier workers. We hope you will not ignore the plight of our own working men and women by asking our Democrat President and Congress to only bail out the big businesses. They also need to reauthorize and improve E-verify to protect our workers.

In these tough economic times, Hoosier voters are counting on you to protect their jobs by passing E-verify legislation like that contained in SB 580. Unfortunately, that bill may not be voted on since it has been sent to the committee “where bills go to die,” according to Jim Shella. That committee is chaired by Rep. Harris.

Hoosier workers are counting on you to get SB 580 out of committee and to a vote by the House.

Cheree Calabro
Director
Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement
P. O. Box 297
Valparaiso, IN 46384