IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two hearings on Delph's bill. Public testimony on Feb. 5th
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 am 
Site Admin

Your chance to be heard: Public testimony on SB 580 will be taken from citizens on Thursday, February 5, 2009 from 4:30-7:00p.m. (EST) in the Senate Chamber, Indiana Statehouse, 200 W. Washington, Indianapolis, IN.

Many of you have done this before. Just show up and sign up to testify. Prepare a very brief (1-3 minute) statement about why you support this bill and why it should be passed. Put your statement in writing with your name and contact information so you can submit it for the record.

If you cannot be there, I suggest you still send your statement to the following:

Your own state senator (http://www.in.gov/apps/sos/legislator/search/)
Chairman Kruse s14@in.gov
Senator Delph s29@in.gov
Me: aaaCheree@gmail.com

This is extremely short notice, I know. I just found out this evening. This makes it difficult for our side to respond. But, believe me, the illegal alien supporters will be there in vast numbers! Do your best!

NEWS RELEASE 02.2.09

jregazzi@iga.state.in.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

State Senate committee to take testimony on
illegal immigration bill Wednesday, Feb. 4
Several to testify in favor of the federal E-Verify system

(STATEHOUSE) Feb. 2, 2009 — Legislation, authored by Sen. Mike Delph (R-Carmel), aimed at punishing those who harbor, transport or employ illegal immigrants in Indiana will be heard in the Senate Committee on Pension and Labor on Wednesday, Feb. 4 at 9 a.m. in the Senate Chamber.

“I encourage citizens and business leaders to attend this hearing and listen to expert testimony on illegal immigration and the E-Verify system,” Delph said. “We have the opportunity to come together this session saying we no longer tolerate the failure of the federal government to protect our borders and ensure our national security.”

Delph also released testimony written by Gary Jacobson, President and COO of Indiana Packers Corporation, discussing how his company has used the federal E-Verify system since 1997 to verify the legal status of all of its employees.

Jacobson’s written testimony states the E-Verify system is a web based program that returns results in under 30 seconds. He also states the company feels a legal workforce is ethically the right thing to do for the state, for the local community and for the employees themselves.

According to Delph, former Indiana Congressman John Hostettler and Julie Myers, former director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for the United States Department of Homeland Security under President Bush, are also expected to testify at the hearing in support of the federal E-Verify system.

Delph said Senate Bill 580 includes a “safe harbor” for an employer who verifies the work status of an employee using the E-Verify system, a federal system free to employers who want to confirm citizenship or legal employability. The legislation requires exempt organizations to use the E-Verify system.

Delph represents portions of Hamilton and Marion counties.

-30-

Jennifer Regazzi, Press Secretary
Senate Majority Communications Office
Room 4D-S, Statehouse
200 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-232-9499
jregazzi@iga.state.in.us