IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star: Illegal Worker Bill OK'd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Keep the pressure on party leaders and your own state senator and representative! The work is just beginning! Until the final bill comes out of conference committee, we need to make our feelings known. The open borders folks have the time and money to lobby all day long. We need to counter that with our persistence! Anyone who voted against this bill, needs to be educated. This is part of your job. You might send them an article that's in the news and your comments about it. As always, spread the word and multiply your efforts.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 8802290420

February 29, 2008

Illegal worker bill OK'd
House approves; now differences must be worked out with Senate

By Dan McFeely
dan.mcfeely@indystar.com
February 29, 2008

Despite pressure from big business, Hispanic leaders and passionate lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, the Indiana House passed a bill Thursday night to crack down on illegal immigration.

The 66-33 vote came after two hours of heated debate on the House floor. The Senate approved a similar bill by a 37-11 vote in January.

The legislation -- which can revoke an employer's business license for repeatedly hiring illegal immigrants -- is likely headed to a House-Senate conference committee, where differences between the bills would be worked out.

Earlier Thursday, Gov. Mitch Daniels declined to commit his support until he saw the final bill.

"It depends entirely on what that bill says and whether it's well put together and fairly balanced," Daniels said. "I think I just really want to wait and see what conclusions they reach before I come to any of my own."

Supporters said the bill was necessary because illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from legal residents and costing state taxpayers money for education, law enforcement and incarceration.

"Keep in mind, this is not a vote against immigration," said House Minority Leader Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis. "This is a vote against illegal immigration.

"Immigrants are welcome here. But they need to do it the right way."
Opponents say this bill will not solve a national problem and will lead to racial profiling and discrimination against anyone who looks Hispanic.

Rep. Mike Murphy, R-Indianapolis, voted against the bill, saying its potential for racial discrimination "rocks my soul to its core."

Calling to mind a past racial profiling case in Carmel -- where a black driver once sued the city, alleging an unwritten "driving while black" policy -- Murphy fears the same is in store for Hispanics, and he coined a new phrase: "driving while Mexican."

"It is easy to speak of the rule of law," Murphy said. "But history has shown repeatedly that (it) is only as just as the character of the men and women who administer it."

Sen. Mike Delph, the author of the legislation, took offense at that notion.
"I think that is insulting to our law enforcement officials across the state," he said.

"I was happy for the state of Indiana," Delph, R-Carmel, said of the vote. "The people are tired of the excuses and the bickering of the political parties. They want people to pull together and solve problems. And this is one of the problems they want us to solve."

In addition to the crackdown on employers, the legislation requires the Indiana State Police to enter into an agreement with federal officials to seek training and begin enforcing federal immigration laws. The attorney general would also be asked to investigate written complaints made against employers.

"This takes us along the right path to trying to do something," said Rep. Vern Tincher, D-Riley, who sponsored the bill in the House. "The federal government is not doing it, so it is up to the states."

Some critics say the bill does not go far enough.

Rep. P. Eric Turner, R-Marion, who wanted to also deny illegal immigrants certain social benefits and tuition support, called the legislation "illegal immigration light."

Others said any kind of crackdown will be harmful to Indiana when thousands of Hispanic workers leave the state out of fear, as has been the case in Oklahoma and Arizona.

"How will we adjust to worker shortages in Indiana?" asked Rep. Mara Candelaria Reardon, D-Munster. "The negative consequences of this bill will be costly to our economy."

Candelaria Reardon read off a long list of business groups, farming concerns, chambers of commerce and manufacturing organizations that oppose the bill. They joined state and local Hispanic leaders in pressuring lawmakers to vote against it.

Mary Jane Gonzalez, president of the Indiana Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said she was not surprised at the vote.

"I think they are being politically pressured by their constituents, their constituents who are not Hispanic," Gonzalez said. "They feel political pressure to move forward on this. There is no question in our minds about that. It's unfortunate."

Rep. Ralph Foley, R-Martinsville, said the bill was not the best piece of legislation, but he thought it should advance.

"I was conflicted on this issue. But we have to support this," Foley said. "It's the only vehicle we have to address this issue."