IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6/15/10-Stop Indy City/County council from boycotting AZ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

BACKGROUND:
Council member Jose Evans has announced that he will submit an ordinance to boycott Arizona at the next City-County Council meeting on June 28 @ 7:00 p.m.

Read the article here:
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010061 ... ng-Arizona
Councilman proposes boycotting Arizona
Posted: June 11, 2010
• Comments (12)
City-County Councilman José Evans said Thursday he intends to present an ordinance to boycott Arizona at the next City-County Council meeting.
Evans, who will run for mayor in 2011, made the announcement in front of the Mexican Consulate during an impromptu news conference.
"To pass legislation that enables law enforcement officers to harass, question and detain our citizens because they are suspected of being an illegal immigrant is blatantly wrong," said Evans, a Democrat.
Evans said the ordinance, which is being drafted, would prohibit funding for city-sponsored travel to Arizona and boycott purchasing goods and services from vendors in the state. He said he plans to send a resolution to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer condemning the law

SAMPLE EMAIL TO COPY AND SEND TO COUNCIL MEMBERS:
Dear City-County Council members:

Councilman Jose Evans has announced he will present an ordinance to boycott Arizona at the June 28 City-County Council meeting. The Indianapolis Star quoted Evans as saying, "To pass legislation that enables law enforcement officers to harass, question and detain our citizens because they are suspected of being an illegal immigrant is blatantly wrong." His statement "blatantly" misrepresents Arizona's SB 1070. I do not understand why the council would want to insert itself into another state's business. However, if Mr. Evans' ordinance is given serious consideration, I would urge council members to inform themselves about what the bill really says. To that end, I include a link where you can read SB1070 and compare it to pertinent portions of the federal law. Also included at this link is a NY Times article by law professor Kris Kobach in which he addresses the main concerns about the Arizona legislation. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1910

I urge the council not to boycott Arizona. You are probably aware that the Bloomington City Council recently decided to boycott Arizona. This has resulted in a counter-boycott against Bloomington. The Bloomington Chamber of Commerce has asked the Bloomington City Council to rescind its boycott so it will not harm local businesses.

Recent polls indicate that over 63% of Hoosiers approve of Arizona's legislation. Most Hoosiers want Indiana to pass similar immigration enforcement measures.

Sincerely,
(your name)

BULK EMAIL LIST:
edward.coleman@gmail.com; barbara_malone@sbcglobal.net; riveraforcouncil@gmail.com; jmsanders@msn.com; info@evansforindy.com; angelamansfield@aol.com; vaughnforcouncil@gmail.com; cscales_2000@yahoo.com; CainforCouncil@aol.com; jfmchenry@iquest.net; mlewis2@indy.gov; mgray@indy.gov; jnytes@indy.gov; woliver@indy.gov; pbateman@indy.gov; mike@mikemcquillen.com; rlutz@indy.gov; cpfist1061@aol.com; dmmcneil@indy.gov; brian@mahern.net; mmadams@iquest.net; VABrown2022@yahoo.com; dmmahern@hotmail.com; susieday20@yahoo.com; bdhunter@sbcglobal.net; jcardwell@cardwellhomecenter.com; m.speedy@sbcglobal.net; aaronfreemanlaw@gmail.com; mthomps1@indy.gov

TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION:

Ed Coleman
edward.coleman@gmail.com
Phone: 327-4242
Libertarian

Barbara Malone
barbara_malone@sbcglobal.net
Phone: 291-4359
Republican

Angel Rivera
riveraforcouncil@gmail.com
Phone: 331-5915
Republican

Joanne Sanders
jmsanders@msn.com
Phone: 283-6040
Minority Leader – Democrat

Jose M. Evans
info@evansforindy.com
Phone: 777-4711
Democrat

Angela Mansfield
angelamansfield@aol.com
Phone: 872-3306
Democrat

Ryan Vaughn
vaughnforcouncil@gmail.com
Phone: 437-7701
President-Republican

Christine Scales
cscales_2000@yahoo.com
Phone: 578-8901
Republican

Virginia Cain
CainforCouncil@aol.com
Phone: 823-2460
Republican

Janice McHenry
jfmchenry@iquest.net
Phone: 298-5285
Republican

Maggie A. Lewis
mlewis2@indy.gov
Phone: 289-6059
Democrat

Monroe Gray, Jr.
mgray@indy.gov
Democrat

Jackie Nytes
jnytes@indy.gov
Phone: 370-6184
Democrat

William Oliver
woliver@indy.gov
Phone: 546-7467
Minority Whip – Democrat

Paul Bateman
pbateman@indy.gov
Democrat

Michael J. McQuillen
mike@mikemcquillen.com
Phone: 374-1481
Majority Leader- Republican

Robert Lutz
rlutz@indy.gov
Phone: 241-4020
Republican

Marilyn Pfisterer
cpfist1061@aol.com
Phone: 244-7156

Doris Minton-McNeill
dmmcneil@indy.gov
Democrate-President –Republican

Brian Mahern
brian@mahern.net
Phone: 331-5011
Democrat

Mary Moriarty Adams
mmadams@iquest.net
Phone: 359-6940
Democrat

Vernon Brown
VABrown2022@yahoo.com
Phone: 501-6680
Democrat

Dane Mahern
dmmahern@hotmail.com
Phone: 506-2707
Democrat

N. Susie Day
susieday20@yahoo.com
Phone: 787-2417
Majority Whip – Republican

Benjamin Hunter
bdhunter@sbcglobal.net
Phone: 508-0688
Republican

Bob Cockrum
Phone: 856-5549
Republican

Jeff Cardwell
jcardwell@cardwell
homecenter.com
Phone: 781-4769
Republican

Mike Speedy
m.speedy@sbcglobal.net
Phone: 786-6689
Republican

Aaron Freeman
aaronfreemanlaw@gmail.com
Phone: 281-9406
Republican

Melissa Thompson
City-County Building,
Room 241
200 E. Washington St.,
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: 317-327-4243
Fax: 317-327-4230
mthomps1@indy.gov

Post subject: Re: 6/15/10-Stop Indy City/County council from boycotting AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Angela Mansfield emailed the following reply: Although I do not agree with Arizona's legislation, I will not support a boycott.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE:

Please come to the committee hearing to oppose Councilman Evan's ordinance boycotting Arizona. We will have IFIRE members there to testify and recommend that the CCC pass a resolution (see paper clipped attachment) supporting the Arizona law instead of boycotting it. The public will be allowed to comment on Evans' ordinance.

Evans' proposal is on the agenda for the Rules and Public Policy Committee's meeting next week on Tues., July 6 @ 5:30 p.m. Aside from any pending proposals or committee business, this proposal and only one other are on the agenda. We need to get as many people to attend as possible because there will more than likely be supporters there as our local immigrant rights activists will have put out a call for people to show up.

ATTEND:

Public Policy Committee meeting

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 @ 5:30 P.M.,

Room 260

City County Building
200 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Link to Proposal 196 - http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Council/Propos ... 10-196.pdf

Link to Agenda for Rules and Public Policy Committee - http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Council/Meetin ... -06-10.pdf

Link to Committee homepage - http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Council/Commit ... rules.aspx

SUPPORT:
Even if you cannot attend the Committee meeting to stop the Arizona boycott, please continue to support us with your emails and phone calls to the CCC. This ordinance also says that the state of Indiana should not attempt to pass immigration enforcement legislation similar to Arizona's SB 1070 and it calls for the federal government to pass Amnesty (Comprehensive Immigration Reform).

COUNTER-PROPOSAL:

Attachments:
File comment: This Resolution supports the Arizona law. It can be adapted for use by the CCC or any city/county governing body in Indiana.
Indiana Resolution supporting AZ 2.pdf [62.49 KiB]
Downloaded 122 times

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

VICTORY!!!
Read the report about the CCC committee meeting from Tish:

Thank you for sending your letter for me to share with the Rules and Public Policy Committee at its July 6 meeting in opposition to Proposal 196, the Arizona boycott bill. I received so many letters, and though I tried to respond to them all so everyone would be assured that I had, indeed, received their letters, I know I missed responding to some people. I apologize for that.

I am writing this form letter style message to send information about today’s meeting to each of you who took the time to send me a letter. I hope you don’t mind this kind of format.

The meeting was short and sweet, over in approximately 10 minutes’ time. The meeting began promptly at 5:30 p.m. First item on the agenda was dealt with in less than 3 minutes. The second item was Prop. 196. As soon as it was brought to the floor, a few people in the audience held up signs declaring their support for Arizona. (There were 8 to 10 on “our side” in attendance, and not one single supporter that I could discern. YAY!)

Within seconds of the Proposal being brought to the floor, a councilman made a motion to postpone action on it because Councilor Jose Evans, the sponsor of the proposal, was absent. He never showed up. At the suggestion of a postponement, those there against the proposal booed lightly. Someone seconded the motion and a vote was held. The motion did not pass.

Immediately another councilman moved that the proposal be tabled, which would have the effect of killing it. This was seconded and the motion passed in the blink of an eye. Several of us clapped.

Without tarrying, a motion was given to close the meeting. Seconded. DONE. Meeting was over before 5:45 p.m. and no one was allowed to testify or offer evidence.

Bottom line – WE WON.

Councilman McQuillen spoke with several of us in the hallway after the meeting and said he had not received one call in support of this proposal. He said that on every hot button issue he had ever dealt with, he would receive calls from people on both sides of an issue. Not this time. He seemed quite impressed by that.

Again, I’m sorry for the form letter style of this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your letters. I printed them all out 8 times each, collated and stapled them, and I now have what must be the world’s largest stack of scratch paper. J Lot of work, but it makes me feel good to see it.

Goodnight.

Tish