IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Letters to the Editor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Admin

http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/l ... 29.article

Don't boycott Arizona; illegal immigrants hurt us

In regards to the letter from Avon Waters (June 22), I would like to say I support Arizona and its stand on illegal immigration, with the key word being "illegal." I am a black man who has three half-Mexican grandchildren I dearly love, so this is not a race issue.

Any sovereign nation must have borders. This is about illegal immigration. You say black people should support the boycott. I say we should support Arizona's stand, and in fact the polls say the majority of black people do.

The illegal immigration of any people should be stopped. Because of illegal immigration, it has become more difficult for many black people to find a job. We as black people did not enter this country illegally but were brought here against our will, so there is no similarity between the illegal immigrants and blacks.

I don't blame people coming here; I blame the government for not closing off borders and not penalizing employers for hiring them. My wife and I have relatives in Arizona and to allow this to continue only puts them more and more in harm's way.

Charles Taylor
Crown Point

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/l ... 06.article

Support Arizona and its effort to close borders
August 6, 2010

Arizona's SB1070 mimics federal immigration laws, yet some consider it solely a tool for racism. By illegally crossing our borders or overstaying visas, illegal immigrants come from many different countries and are of different races. The intent of SB1070 was to protect the people of Arizona from those using their state as a corridor for criminal activities; it targets the violations, not a race.

LaRaza, the Hispanics' pro-amnesty organization, cried racial profiling, yet they are ones who are guilty of racism. They distort the intent of this bill by falsely attributing its passage to racism instead of the real cause, protection of citizens. That is race baiting.

Lack of enforcement of illegal immigration laws has created many problems in our country, such as job loss, a drain on tax dollars and high crime rates. In 200 American cities, drug cartels operated by illegal aliens peddle drugs and death to our youth. Arizona's borders are so dangerous the federal government has posted warnings to avoid them. Can Arizona be faulted for protecting its own borders?

Obama and many members of Congress want open borders and promise amnesty for those who breach them. Support Arizona by pressuring Congress to enforce our laws and give America back its borders.

Alice Massengill
Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/ma ... 99927.html

Ask candidates their views on illegal aliens in work force

Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:00 am | (37) Comments

The current president and his administration continue to throw money at the American economy in hopes it will jump start employment. Our unemployment rate is around 9.5 percent and much higher for teens and minorities. As of the end of 2009, when the unemployment was soaring, America allowed 1.7 million legal immigrants and their family members into our country on work visas.

With 15 million or more unemployed Americans, why are we importing foreign labor at such a high rate ? Why should our unemployed citizens have to compete with new immigrants and illegal aliens for a job that our government is subsidizing with our tax dollars ?

If our state and federal legislatures had some common sense they would stop all employment based immigration at the federal level. At the state level, Democratic Speaker of the House Patrick Bauer should allow the E-Verify bill to at least get to the floor of the House instead of killing the bill like he has done for the past three years.

E-verify is a federal government-based hiring program that will weed out illegals from our work force. It would help the 300,000 unemployed Hoosiers find employment without having to compete with illegal aliens for a job.

The E-verify program cost nothing to the state and far less then the billions the federal government wants to spend on jobs, therefore the taxpayers and our children are not saddled with debt our present administration seem all to willing to force us to accept.

This upcoming election we need to ask all state and federal candidates running for office how they plan on keeping illegal aliens out of our work force, and if they currently hold at elected office ask them why they have not enforced our current immigration laws.

It's time our politicians start to care about the citizens and not the special interest so intent on securing favors for their group of donors. With legal immigration as high as it is and deportations of illegals decreasing I wonder just who the Obama administration cares more about?

Greg Serbon, State Director, Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement, Griffith

Copyright 2010 nwi.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/l ... 25.article

DREAM act will hurt U.S. students, workers

November 25, 2010

Our tone-deaf leaders still don't get it. Despite record unemployment, both Democrat-led houses of Congress have promised to push the DREAM Act amnesty in the lame duck session. Both Sens. Dick Lugar and Evan Bayh support it.

Contrary to popular propaganda, this bill does not help only a few worthy valedictorians who were brought here by their illegal alien parents. It is a massive amnesty bill that would immediately authorize unlimited numbers of illegal aliens, up to the age of 35, to work. They will compete with our children for financial aid and jobs.

It's a slap in the face that Congress would use the lame duck session to reward illegal aliens at the expense of American students and unemployed workers. Call the congressional switchboard at (866) 220-0044 and tell them to start putting the American people before foreign interests by voting against the DREAM Act amnesty.

Cheree Calabro
Valparaiso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 am 
Site Admin

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 1102190308

Cummins follows law; shouldn't immigrants also?
5:15 PM, Feb. 18, 2011 | 4Comments
Letters to the editor

It surprises me that a CEO of Cummins would resort to political correctness to debunk illegal immigration legislation. His argument for tolerance is actually based on allowing people to violate the law. The argument is immoral. America depends on the force of law to be a civilized, safe society.

Today, America is the most tolerant nation in the world regarding immigration law. Our borders act like a sieve for illegal immigrants. Tim Solso wants this to continue?

He made no mention of the massive amount America spends on health care, crime and education to support illegal immigrants. No mention of how other businesses have been hurt. No mention of Arizona's struggles. No mention of terrorists entering the country through "tolerant" borders. No mention that Indiana already has laws preventing people from the outside doing illegal things in our state. No mention of his solution to this massive national problem. And no mention that this legislation will not harm Cummins at all.

Solso says that his foreign workers are all legal, so why oppose this law? I'll bet Cummins makes sure those workers are here legally. What hypocrisy then for Solso to argue against immigration law, which is a policy he is already enforcing.

Rev. E. Paul Albrecht

Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.ibj.com/indiana-must-limit-i ... icle/25856

Indiana must limit immigration

March 12, 2011

It always amazes me that the obvious results of exporting jobs, importing workers and engaging in other forms of labor and environmental arbitrage are a mystery to newspaper editorialists and many of our so-called public leaders.

Despite the fact that it should be evident to all by now, but apparently isn’t, that our real economy has been layered with a decades-long, debt-based Ponzi scheme that provided the excuse for importing workers that simultaneously created an illusionary economy while permitting the transfer of wealth from the many to the few.

[State Sen. Mike] Delph, [R-Carmel], is trying to address the issue of this oversupply of labor (remember, it was never really needed), the demand (present and future) for public funds and services and the protection of our national sovereignty.

Again, Indiana’s problems are mild compared to what they will be. Ask anyone still in California who has to deal with the onslaught of illegal aliens on a daily basis what the impacts to society are. Does anyone not think that it is more than just coincidental that the states with the most entrenched illegal alien population (and most entrenched illegal alien service-providers and illegitimate business exploiters) have the largest budgetary problems?

Operating large welfare systems that support illegal aliens (who routinely ship earnings out of the country) and the myriad financial, educational, health, social, cultural and addiction problems that many of them bring with them are foisted on the unsuspecting (the clueless ones) American public, with the attendant propaganda.

Many more citizens become surprised when they realize that working does not prevent nor discourage some of the illegal aliens from belonging to criminal gangs. However, by sanctioning the illegal behavior of invading the sovereignty of this nation, we continue to forfeit our rights to decide who will be a positive contributor to our nation and we are forced to accept the good, the bad, the indifferent and the pathological criminal, without scrutiny. It is not yet too late to reverse the tide, but it may be too late very, very soon.

Larry Williams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Official English language unifies Americans

5:04 PM, Jun. 7, 2011 |
Comments

Opinion
Letters to the editor

I'm not certain how to read Ruben Navarrette ("No truce in language wars," June 6). Does he agree that English ought to be the official language of the United States or does he decry the attempts of some Americans to insist on English in their communities? Does he think unity is vital for America, or is diversity the essence of our national culture?

A former executive minister for my denomination once said, "Diversity is a terrible thing to try to unify around." How true. We may in fact unify our nation around the ideals of democracy, we may unify around the principle of "freedom," but how do you unify around diversity? Specifically, how do you unify a country by allowing everyone to speak whatever language he desires?

The English language has served us well as a unifying feature of national life since they landed at Jamestown in 1607. The language wars exist in 2011 only because our culture believes tolerance is exclusively a virtue and refuses to recognize that many times tolerance is a great vice that hinders the unity of our people.

Rev. E. Paul Albrecht

Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... sley-bill/

Support Grassley bill

It’s time for a new “New Deal” to replace the raw deal American workers have been getting. Throughout the recent Great Recession, foreign-born workers gained jobs while native-born workers lost. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates there are more than 8 million illegal aliens working in the United States. Many of them are working in construction, manufacturing, hotels and restaurants - in jobs that 20 million unemployed Americans would love to do.

The government cannot create jobs, but it can reclaim them by requiring all employers to use E-Verify, the free, easy-to-use, Internet-based system by which employers can ensure they hire only legal, work-authorized immigrants. The program has been voluntary except for federal contractors and some businesses in the ever-growing list of states, including Indiana, that have passed E-Verify legislation. In light of the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling favoring Arizona’s E-Verify law, you can expect that list to grow.

Half a dozen good E-Verify bills have been proposed with wide bipartisan support. Even the Chamber of Commerce has come out early to endorse Rep. Lamar Smith’s Legal Workforce Act, which would take three years to implement. But if you think American workers have suffered long enough under our country’s current immigration policy, it would only take one year to roll out Sen. Chuck Grassley’s Mandatory E-Verify bill.

This bill is better than President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration or President Obama’s Jobs Project because it would remove illegal aliens from real jobs that already exist. These are the shovel-ready jobs we’ve been waiting for.

CHEREE CALABRO

Co-founder, Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform & Enforcement

Valparaiso, Ind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

IN RESPONSE: Eliminate the demand for illegal labor
Farmers should pay market wages

By Dan Weaver
Posted July 20, 2011

I read with great interest the July 25 editorial titled "Immigration law sows farm woes" and I take great exception to it.

I see there are no shortages in our labor market for the processing of red herring used by the open border advocates to feed the public fish stories.

Did we not hear this same nonsense from the slave owners over 150 years ago? Yes we did and the argument is getting older by the minute. Were the cotton crops not going to rot in the fields without slaves? It is utterly amazing that these so called farmers cannot make a living without slave labor. I would suggest they find another line of work.

I am a firm believer in capitalism and always will be. If we have a shortage of an item, the price goes up and if there is an overabundance of the same quantity, then the price goes down. Why should it be any different with farm labor? If we have to pay $25 an hour for pickle pickers then so be it, as our country will be much better off with the free market than the black market.

Just for one moment think about what would happen if we were to reduce unemployment benefits and allow wages to rise to the level that the market demands. Those making $25 an hour would be paying income and Social Security and Medicare taxes unlike the illegal labor of today. Business would not be burdened with the unemployment taxes as they are today. Property owners would not be burdened with the education of children of illegal aliens as they are today.

If the market would not be there for illegal immigrant labor, our borders would be more secure.

I was in business for 25 years, competing against Dell, HP, Gateway and Apple and not once did I ever have to hire illegal labor. I was very successful using the approach that you pay the best, expect the best, and you get the best.

I suggest these farmers enroll themselves in a few business management courses and maybe they will develop the skills needed to run a business legally. They might also gain people skills which would enable them to manage workers and treat them as human beings.

Dan Weaver is a resident of Plymouth, Ind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... /1021/EDIT

Published: August 1, 2011 3:00 a.m.
Letters

Illegal immigrants add to jobless woes

Shhh! Don’t tell President Obama, but I know where the shovel-ready jobs are and how to get them. I’m not talking about creating jobs in the distant future. I’m talking about real jobs that exist right now. I’m talking about reclaiming 8 million jobs in construction, factories, hotels and restaurants – jobs currently filled by illegal aliens, according to Pew Research Center.

Congress can reclaim those jobs for American workers by passing Sen. Charles Grassley’s mandatory E-Verify legislation. Within a year, Senate Bill 1196 would require all businesses to hire only legally authorized workers. Within three years they must E-Verify their entire existing workforce and fire any illegal workers.

Grassley’s bill will replace illegal workers who don’t pay taxes and who send a portion of their earnings out of our country with unemployed Americans who will pay taxes and spend their earnings here.

There are also several good bills in the House. Unfortunately, Rep. Lamar Smith’s mandatory E-Verify bill would pre-empt states’ rights and permit most agricultural workers to avoid the E-Verify process for several years. Smith’s bill must not be passed unless those sections of the bill are removed.

CHEREE CALABRO
Indiana Federation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011083 ... mmigrants-

4:21 PM, Aug. 30, 2011

Why give work permits to illegal immigrants?

Unemployment has affected as many as 22 million people in our country. So why has President Obama chosen to hand out work permits to illegal aliens?

Just before the president went on vacation, it was announced that our deportation policy will be reviewed, and some illegal aliens currently being held by the Department of Homeland Security will be allowed to stay here. Some of those illegally here and allowed to stay will be give the opportunity to receive work visas.

Last year we deported almost 400,000 illegal aliens from our country. Half of those deported did not have serious criminal violations other than being in our country illegally.

You would think one sure way to create jobs would be to remove those illegally here from our workforce and deport them back to their home country. I would like to know how is it in America's best interest that we have immigration laws, yet we reward those who choose to violate them?

Why has Congress allowed illegal immigration to continue, and why do we keep electing politicians who embrace this open border policy to the detriment of American citizens? The elections of 2012 are right around the bend, and I hope to see a lot of new faces to represent us after the election.

Greg Serbon

State Director, Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement
Griffith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

http://journalgazette.net/article/20110 ... /1021/EDIT

Published: September 25, 2011 3:00 a.m.
Letters to the editor

E-verify can help U.S. reclaim jobs

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over again while expecting different results. The president’s jobs plan includes paying people not to work by extending unemployment benefits yet again. He repeatedly called for Congress to “pass this bill” before he submitted a bill for them to pass.

I’ve got good news for the president and unemployed Americans: Sen. Chuck Grassley’s mandatory e-verify bill (S.1196) is ready to pass. Within one year, it would restore to American workers the 8 million jobs currently held by illegal aliens, according to the Pew Research Center.

Federal contractors are already required to use e-verify. Now, thanks to Sen. Mike Delph’s Senate Bill 590, contractors working for the state are also required to use it. Thus far, 18 states have enacted e-verify laws, and the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld their right to do so. Government cannot “create” jobs, but it can certainly “reclaim” them by passing Grassley’s bill to make e-verify mandatory nationwide. The sooner we pass Grassley’s bill, the sooner unemployed Americans will contribute to the tax base by working.

CHEREE CALABRO Valparaiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:56 am 

CHEREE,

I shared your letter on a couple of sites hoping to bring to others attention about Senator Grassleys bill S.1196. A lot of people are not even aware of it because of the push on Smiths H.R. 2885. Thanks for your continued efforts.

Don

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/ma ... 1d9c3.html

I'm not concerned about requiring use of IDs

Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 12:00 am

I was just reading about the federal government trying to stop enforcement of the Alabama immigration law. The federal government says Alabama's new law (here I quote exactly from the article) "is highly likely to expose persons lawfully in the U.S., including schoolchildren, to new difficulties in routine dealings."

I am a retiree and was born and raised in the U.S. and served four years in the U.S. Navy with the Seabees, including a tour of duty in Vietnam, yet when I make a purchase at a store and write a check they require an ID from me. In fact, at one store I had to provide two forms of ID.

Yet, according to our own federal government's guidelines, I should not have been subjected to this since it exposed a person lawfully in the United States to new difficulties in routine dealings. After all, how much more routine is the act of making a purchase in a store? One then has to ask, why hasn't this requirement been repealed?

- Ken Keeler, Whiting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Admin

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/op ... 8092.story

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE
Immigration

I find it strange the Republicans lose the presidential election and believe giving people here illegally a path to citizenship will gain the Latino vote next election. President Obama deported more illegals than any other president, and President Clinton signed a tough illegal immigration law in 1996. Both these Democrats trounced their Republican opponents yet now citizenship for illegals is the new path to victory for Republicans? What about the millions of Americans out of work?

Giving illegals a work visa increases the competition for what scarce jobs we do have. As it stands right now those without a high school diploma and most minority communities have an unemployment rate that is in the high double digits, yet the focus right now isn't on these Americans. What both parties need to do is to stop dividing us into groups and do what's best for the American people.

We granted amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens in 1986 and now we have 12 million of them here. The talk of comprehensive immigration reform is a sham. Without enforcement of the law you have nothing, and that's what will happen with any immigration law passed by these people we put in place to lead our country right now.

Greg Serbon
State Director
Indiana Federation for Immigration
Reform and Enforcement
Griffith, Ind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next