IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Ethnocentrism Looks Like...
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:53 pm 

http://www.westernyouth.org/articles/wh ... nt=Twitter

By Brittney Morrett

La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. puts La Raza above America

The media is always on the hunt for ethnic chauvinism, racism, and cultural supremacism on a college campus, ready to pounce and run breathless exposes. Colleges and universities have speech codes, disciplinary bodies, and an entire apparatus of repression have been built to make sure that no racist group can ever raise its ugly head in polite society again.

Unless, of course, it’s for non-whites. Then it is celebrated and funded. Take the case of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. (LUL).

Now, if you are like most people reading this, you can’t criticize them, you’re white. However, according to some unwritten rule I can because I’m half-Hispanic, and I will tell you how just like a myriad of other culturally based greek organizations, they are a hotbed for far left activism and anti-American rhetoric. How do I know? I was the chapter president of a sorority just like it.

LUL is a Latino-based greek organization that was founded at Cornell University in 1982. Their mission statement asserts that their goals are to uplift the Latino community through academic achievement, cultural awareness, community service and promotion of the Latino culture and people.

Apparently that means supporting illegal immigrants, pushing radical immigration policies, and decrying a United States Governor for doing his job.

With representation at more than 75 college campuses nation-wide and 14 alumni/graduate groups, LUL is becoming an army of liberal activists. They often request that their members and pledges go to rallies, marches, and events that are leftist in nature. They encourage their chapters to host events in favor of the DREAM Act and comprehensive immigration reform.

They officially condemned SB 1070 (http://www.launidadlatina.org/news/4149 ... B-1070.htm) and called for an economic boycott of Arizona.

Now they call for national support of the DREAM Act and support for the “Indiana 5.” (http://www.launidadlatina.org/news/6498 ... vernor.htm) The DREAM Act would allow illegal immigrants to qualify for in-state tuition with a few stipulations…basically it makes legal taxpayers subsidize the education of undocumented students.

The “Indiana 5”are the five students who protested against two bills about to be signed into law in Indiana Governor Mitch Daniel’s office earlier this week. The bills are SB 590 and HB 1402 which would prevent illegal immigrants from receiving in-state tuition and require employers to use E-Verify. Imagine that – enforcing the law and not rewarding those who break it! What a novel idea!

Two of the protestors are members of LUL and illegal immigrants. Erick Gama and Uriel Gama of the Alpha Xi Chapter attend Indiana University – Bloomington. The group is currently in prison and on a hunger strike. Like anyone else is actually hurt by their decision not to eat. However, it is working in the Latino community.

All over facebook, twitter, and organization listservs there are calls for support of the “Indiana 5.” The Latino greek community in particular are heralding these law breakers as heroes and martyrs. Watch this video that is circulating on behalf of the group and their agenda. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJIY_jr_ ... dded#at=43)

I will give it to LUL – their strategy is smart. Their chapters are like little liberal activist cells. They tap into the “cool” part of college by being greek and participating in traditional cultural events like stepping, strolling, and really neat jackets with numbers and line names. The insidious underbelly of it all is the radical agenda they unapologetically promote to their members and to the Latino community at large.

I wonder – do you think such student organizations get school funding? Where I went to school the LUL chapter had access to funds from the school through various means and methods. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t want my money going to such an organization. They may hold constructive events like tutoring and clothing drives once in a while – but it is impossible to overlook their political motives.

Why should you care? Ultimately, we need to decide whether we want to be one country or not. Conservatives believe that we are all in this together, regardless of race, and we should stand up for America first. Groups like LUL are dedicated to deliberately promoting racial separatism and anti-Americanism.

This has a huge impact. Among the Latino/a community and youth in general, America is a joke. To such well ordered organizations, assimilation is cultural betrayal. Instead, they teach our youth to rebel against the United States while simultaneously demanding funding and entitlements. Of course, they couple this with sneering anti-white rhetoric if white Americans don’t immediately kowtow to wildly unrealistic demands.

I myself have been called a “race traitor,” a “coconut” and many other racial slurs for standing up for my country.

All I can say is that I’d rather be a “race traitor” than a traitor to America.

Article Views: 175 Published In: Articles
Article Topics: illegal immigrationcollegecensorshipDiversitycampus activismDREAM Act
Brittney Morrett
A graduate of The George Washington University who currently works in communications.

Profile E-mail