IFIRE.org

IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maryland House Passes In-State Tuition for Illegals Bill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am 
Site Admin

The biggest fight we have is with our own government! This is downright subversive, not to mention insulting, to help foreign lawbreakers AND to make lawabiding taxpayers pay for it! Not only that, but the taxpayers are hurting their own childrens' chances of getting into college, and finding a good job upon graduation.

Even if these illegal alien students graduate from college, they will still be unable to work (legally) without violating federal immigration law!!!

These Maryland state legislators are blatantly aiding and abetting illegal immigration yet no one challenges this as being unconstitutional???!!!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/national/u ... a5018.html

Md. House OKs illegal immigrant in-state tuition
By BRIAN WITTE | Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 5:57 pm

As many southern states pass news laws to crack down on illegal immigrants, the Maryland General Assembly on Friday moved toward allowing them to pay in-state college tuition, if they meet certain conditions.

The Maryland House voted 74-66 on Friday for the measure after intense debate. The Senate already has passed similar legislation.

Democratic supporters say the legislation would create opportunity for people who have lived in Maryland for years and paid state taxes.

"It gives them an opportunity to become a productive member of our society, and I believe that's what we all want," said Delegate Aisha Braveboy, D-Prince George's. "There are limitless opportunities in the future, and I want all children to have that."

But Republican opponents said the measure rewards illegal behavior at taxpayers' expense, while filling up seats at the state's colleges that could be filled with citizens who are struggling to find work in a tough economy.

"I don't think any American should have to compete with someone here illegally for a job, and I don't think we should be offering an enticement for a person to come here illegally, and that's exactly what we're doing," said Delegate Herb McMillan, R-Anne Arundel.

Illegal immigrants would have to complete two years at a community college and show that their parents paid state income taxes for the three years before they enrolled to qualify for in-state tuition. The proposal is aimed at those who may have come to the U.S. illegally as children with their parents and may have lived most of their life in the U.S. Someone who is born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants is automatically a citizen.

The Legislature adjourns Monday night, and the two chambers will have to work out some differences for the measure to go to Gov. Martin O'Malley, a Democrat who has said he will sign it.

The House added an amendment that would require male illegal immigrants to register with the Selective Service, or the draft, before qualifying for the reduced tuition rate. The House also changed the definition of an illegal immigrant receiving the reduced tuition rate to have him or her count as part of a school's out-of-state student pool, keeping preventing in-state slots for Maryland residents from being unaffected.

On Friday, the House also changed the bill so that parents would have to produce evidence they paid Maryland income taxes 90 days out of each of the three years. Delegate Luiz Simmons, D-Montgomery, who offered the amendment, included an exception for parents who were unable to meet the requirement if they experienced "serious and substantial circumstances," such as an injury.

Delegate Anthony O'Donnell, R-Calvert, said the change created "substantial loopholes."

"All you have to do is say, 'Circumstances beyond my control. I couldn't provide the documentation and I couldn't pay taxes,' and you can drive a Greyhound bus through this loophole," O'Donnell said.

The Democrat-controlled House of Delegates rejected a Republican-backed amendment that would have capped the amount of money for illegal immigrants getting the lower tuition rate at $1 million a year. A proposal to cap it at $3 million a year also was rejected. Democrats also shot down an amendment that would have required a one-time $250 fee from a student to receive the reduced benefit.

The financial implications for students are significant. In-state tuition is $8,416 annually, and out-of-state students pay $24,831 a year.

Since 2001, 10 states have enacted laws to allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates at public universities. They are California, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Washington.