IFIRE Announcements and Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Esther Barber busted for immigration violations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Go to this link to watch a video and hear Esther interviewed:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/27139591/detail.html
I don't know how long it will be available for viewing.

So, Esther Barber was only trying to help people and she didn't know she had to pay taxes? She is being targeted because she knows people? Who might those people be? Senator Lugar?

Local Businesses Busted On Immigration Violations
Authorities: Workers Were Not Licensed To Practice Law
POSTED: 6:55 pm EST March 9, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Attorney General's Office filed lawsuits against two Indiana businesses on Wednesday, accusing them of providing immigration services even though its workers are not licensed to practice law.

Indianapolis-based Mexican Civic Association and Fort Wayne-based United Hispanic Caring Hearts will have to defend their practices before courts that will be asked to approve a state request for a preliminary injunction.

Indianapolis Police and investigators with the Attorney General's Office raided the Mexican Civic Association in the 2200 block of South Shelby Street, 6News' Rafael Sanchez reported.

Group President Esther Barber was accused of charging people up to $1,500 to work on immigration paperwork, although she has no license to practice law.

"I have done nothing wrong but try to help people," Barber said.

According to court documents, Barber is a notary who misled people into believing she could do more than verify signatures on important documents.

In Spanish-speaking countries, a notary is known as a "notario publico" and is often a lawyer.

"This is a situation where someone who was not properly trained who did not have the proper license to perform, took money for a service they shouldn't have been providing. (They) then end up damaging a person seriously," said Deputy Attorney General Abby Kuzma.

Barber could also face criminal charges. The Department of Revenue has no record of her or her business paying taxes for at least five years.

"The state can't give a pass to anyone not paying their taxes," said Deputy Attorney General Andrew Swain.

Barber maintained she had no idea she violated any laws.

"I am not the only one. I am being targeted because I know many people," Barber said.

Authorities said the owner of the United Hispanic Caring Hearts is responsible for the deportation of a man who would have been able to stay in the country had he had been given advice on filling out his application.

The man will be unable to enter the United States for at least 10 years.

No hearing has been set in this case. Copyright 2011 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The following are comments from our users. Opinions expressed are neither created nor endorsed by TheIndyChannel.com. By posting a comment you agree to accept our Terms of Use. Comments are moderated by the community. To report an offensive or otherwise inappropriate comment, click the "Flag" link that appears beneath that comment. Comments that are flagged by a set number of users will be automatically removed.
Use my avatar from...
No avatar
My computer
My Facebook Profile
My Google Profile
My Twitter Account
My FriendFeed Account
My Yahoo! Account
Gravatar email

Post subject: Re: Esther Barber busted for immigration violations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 am 
Site Admin